How To Clean Storm Windows?
Storm windows have the significance of protecting the older windows. But in the process, they are exposed to the natural elements on high toll. As a result, the storm windows start to become foggy and streaked. And the major problem is that most individuals are unaware of how to clean storm windows. In fact, cleaning them in the right way might just increase their life.
Storm windows are difficult to clean, but they are even tricky to remove. Therefore, most people do not even approach the right method for cleaning them. And in the process, the quality of those windows degrades and finally calls in for replacement. So, to help you preserve the life of your storm windows for a little longer, here is a write-up to guide you in the cleaning process of storm windows.
Step 1: Prepare Yourself With Ideal Knowledge
Before you move ahead with cleaning storm windows, you need to get some brief knowledge about it. Firstly, you should get an idea of what type the storm windows are (see also ‘How To Take Blinds Down‘). They can be wood, vinyl, or aluminum storm windows with thick or thin single pane glass.
You need to definitely clean the single pane glass if the storm window is aluminum or vinyl. It is because the glass will be held onto the place with metal or plastic tabs. In case you have such types of storm windows, consider taking ideal precautions to remove them. It is because thin glasses are prone to break out easily.
The wooden type storm windows come with thick glass panes and are held with lever screws or snaps. It is a sturdier type of window and is heavy. Hence, you might need extra pair of hands while removing it from the walls. You can also seek to clean the storm windows without removing them from the walls. But it will make things a bit tiring, but removing & installation is way too complex!
Step 2: Use Vinegar-Water Solution
- Take a bowl of water, and add a little vinegar to it. Keep the water to vinegar ratio as 2:1.
- Stir the mixture well.
- If you aren’t taking off the storm windows from the wall, you need to use this solution to clean the inside of the window and then the exterior.
- Lay down a towel on the floors while working with the interior side of the storm windows.
- Take a microfiber cloth, and soak it in the vinegar-water solution. Wring it out, and then wipe clean the glass panes of the window. Do it section-by-section to ensure effective cleaning.
- Maintain horizontal strokes while you are cleaning glass panes.
- Wipe the window glasses with a dry & soft cloth to take off the solution residue.
- Repeat the same process for the exterior side of the storm windows as well.
You can make use of commercial cleaners as well. But make sure you get quality products from recognized brands. The process of applying commercial cleaners will be the same as that of the vinegar-water solutions.
Step 3: Removing Storm Windows For Cleaning
If you want a feasible cleaning environment without the necessity of climbing stairs, then you can count on just removing storm windows for cleaning. Here are the steps with which you can approach the removal of windows:
- You will need a utility knife to cut the trim & caulking within the storm window and its trim.
- You can also use a screwdriver and drill for unscrewing the window from that of the frame.
- If it is still not getting out easily, consider cutting through the seam between the storm windows. It will help you with rigging the window out.
- Use a suction cup handle to get a grip over the frame to detach it. This step is possible only if you haven’t cut through the frame.
- Now, give support to the window and remove it properly.
- Make use of the scraper to scrape out the storm window to eliminate all of the excess caulking. When you re-install the windows, you will have to refill that space with new caulking.
Now you have learned how to remove aluminum storm windows from the wall. Aluminum is the most common type used for storm windows, but this process would work for all. Now you can just lean them on some outdoor walls and carry out Step 1. The cleaning process remains the same, but what changes is the method.
To help you get a better demonstration on how to remove storm windows from the wall and how to clean double pane storm windows then, here are two different videos for your reference:
Frequently Asked Questions
Do I Need To Use Any Kind Of Protective Equipment During This Cleaning Process?
Glasses are prone to break, and you cannot predict accidents at all. Therefore, you are always advised to wear protective glasses, use gloves, and take other precautions while cleaning storm windows. It will help you stay safe, even if things go sideways. Taking precautions come at no cost!
What Tools Do You Need To Remove The Storm windows?
You will need a utility knife, a flathead screwdriver, and a flat putty knife for removing the storm windows from their fixtures. These tools will come in handy when you want to cut through those paint or caulk, which is responsible for sealing the window onto the wall. These tools will also be helpful while removing swollen or warped wooden storm window frames from their place.
How Can I Maintain The Aluminum Storm Windows?
You need to make it a habit to brush and vacuum your storm windows periodically. For that, you need a stiff-bristle brush to clear out the dirt from small window channels. In addition, you can use silicone lubricant over the window channels to keep them clean over time. Just like this, there are many other ways to keep your aluminum storm windows maintained. And to know them, you must refer to this article.
Put an end to your wait for the professionals to do the window cleaning job for you. It is time for you to take the job into your hands and clean the storm window storage at once. In the process, you might face some challenges, but eventually, you will overcome them. It will only be the first time when you will be facing loads of difficulties while cleaning the storm windows. After that, the next cleaning schedule will not be a difficult approach.